University of Helsinki /Helsingin Yliopisto
|Sitz|| Fabianinkatu 18|
|Telefon||+358 (0) 9 1911|
|Telefax||+358 (0) 9 191 23010|
The University of Helsinki (Helsingin yliopisto) is the oldest and largest university in Finland. It was founded in 1640 as the `Academy of Turku`; Turku being the former capital of Finland, which was then part of the Swedish realm. After Finland was annexed to the Russian Empire in 1809, the capital was moved to Helsinki. In 1827 the University was transferred to Helsinki, where it opened the following year under the name of the Imperial Alexander University, after the Russian Czar Alexander the Second. It was the only university in Finland until 1919. By Scandinavian standards, the uiversity of Helsinki is a large university, with over 40,000 members when students, teachers and other staff numbers are combined. About 40 per cent of all doctoral degrees in Finland are completed here.